News

Indian citizen sentenced to prison time for conspiring cross-border smuggling scheme

Indian citizen sentenced to prison time for conspiring cross-border smuggling scheme

Photo: Saga Communications/Dave Walker


SEATTLE, WA (MyBellinghamNow.com) – A second person connected to a cross-border smuggling scheme has been sentenced.

Acting U.S. Attorney Teal Luthy Miller says that 27-year-old Rajat Rajat will spend five months in prison for conspiring to bring people into the country for profit.

Rajat, a citizen of India who had also been smuggled into the U.S., met with at least eight people on two separate occasions at Peace Arch Park in 2023. He took payments and gave them instructions on how to illegally cross the border.

Rajat was arrested near the border in December 2023.

His co-conspirator, 36-year-old Sushil Kumar, was sentenced to six months in prison earlier this year.

And 68-year-old Bobby Joe Green of California, who served as a van driver for at least one of the smuggling trips, was sentenced to four months in prison.

Once his prison time is complete, Rajat is expected to be deported back to India.

Recent Headlines

2 days ago in Sports

WNBA warns the Fever for failing to report Caitlin Clark’s injury on time

A day after Caitlin Clark was a late scratch because of a back injury, the Indiana Fever received a warning from the WNBA for not reporting the injury sooner, the league confirmed to The Associated Press on Thursday night.

2 days ago in Sports

NFL MVP Matthew Stafford agrees to 1-year contract extension with Rams through 2027

Reigning NFL Most Valuable Player Matthew Stafford has agreed to a one-year contract extension through the 2027 season with the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams announced the deal Thursday without immediately revealing its value.

2 days ago in Sports, Trending

2-time NASCAR champ Kyle Busch dies at 41 after being hospitalized with a ‘severe illness’

Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion who won more races than anyone across NASCAR's three national series, has died. He was 41. The Busch Family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR issued a joint statement Thursday saying Busch died after being hospitalized. No cause of death was given.

3 days ago in Sports

Sinner opens French Open against wild card as he chases a career Grand Slam

With two-time reigning champion Carlos Alcaraz out injured, Jannik Sinner is the overwhelming men's favorite on the red clay of Roland Garros. The Italian is unbeaten in three months. He's won 29 straight matches and dropped just three sets.

4 days ago in Sports

Aaron Rodgers says the 2026 NFL season will be his last: ‘This is it’

Aaron Rodgers took his time before deciding he wanted to come back for a 22nd season. The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback already has made up his mind about a 23rd: There won't be one.