News

Rail crossing upgrades completed for “Fairhaven Quiet Zone”

Rail crossing upgrades completed for “Fairhaven Quiet Zone”

Courtesy of the City of Bellingham Photo: Saga Communications


BELLINGHAM, WA (MyBellinghamNow.com) – A portion of Fairhaven is a bit quieter following a series of upgrades.

The City of Bellingham announced that a “quiet zone” is now in effect for a 1 ¼ mile section of railroad that runs through Fairhaven.

My Bellingham Now previously reported that safety upgrades were needed at five crossings in order to comply with federal “quiet zone” regulations. With those upgrades completed, passing trains are no longer required to sound their horns as frequently.

“The Fairhaven Quiet Zone will support a more peaceful, livable city for generations to come,” said Port Executive Director Rob Fix. “This project has been a priority for many years and, through strategic infrastructure investments, the Port is committed to reducing noise, enhancing safety and improving the quality of life for all residents of Whatcom County.”

Conductors are still required to alert people in a quiet zone if there’s a safety issue or if the tracks are undergoing maintenance.

A second quiet zone, which is expected to span part of Bellingham’s Waterfront area, is currently being upgraded to meet federal standards.

Recent Headlines

1 day ago in Sports

WNBA warns the Fever for failing to report Caitlin Clark’s injury on time

A day after Caitlin Clark was a late scratch because of a back injury, the Indiana Fever received a warning from the WNBA for not reporting the injury sooner, the league confirmed to The Associated Press on Thursday night.

1 day ago in Sports

NFL MVP Matthew Stafford agrees to 1-year contract extension with Rams through 2027

Reigning NFL Most Valuable Player Matthew Stafford has agreed to a one-year contract extension through the 2027 season with the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams announced the deal Thursday without immediately revealing its value.

1 day ago in Sports, Trending

2-time NASCAR champ Kyle Busch dies at 41 after being hospitalized with a ‘severe illness’

Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion who won more races than anyone across NASCAR's three national series, has died. He was 41. The Busch Family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR issued a joint statement Thursday saying Busch died after being hospitalized. No cause of death was given.

2 days ago in Sports

Sinner opens French Open against wild card as he chases a career Grand Slam

With two-time reigning champion Carlos Alcaraz out injured, Jannik Sinner is the overwhelming men's favorite on the red clay of Roland Garros. The Italian is unbeaten in three months. He's won 29 straight matches and dropped just three sets.

3 days ago in Sports

Aaron Rodgers says the 2026 NFL season will be his last: ‘This is it’

Aaron Rodgers took his time before deciding he wanted to come back for a 22nd season. The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback already has made up his mind about a 23rd: There won't be one.