Firefighters were called to Humboldt Street near Sunnyland Park just after 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.
The renter was home at the time and reports waking to thick smoke and the ringing of his smoke alarm.
Fire officials say the resident’s own attempts to contain the attic fire failed before he made it safely out.
A neighbor driving past the home called 911.
Fire Chief Roger Christensen says homeowners with old wiring should make sure the insulation is removed.
He says the man is fortunate to be alive because his smoke alarm was in proper working order.