News

Penn State to pay $60M to Sandusky’s victims

Penn State to pay $60M to Sandusky’s victims

SETTLEMENT: Former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky arrives at Centre County Court in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, June 11, 2012. Photo: Reuters/Pat Little

(Reuters) – Penn State University has agreed to pay $59.7 million to settle claims by 26 child sex abuse victims of former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, officials said on Monday.

“We hope this is another step forward in the healing process for those hurt by Mr. Sandusky, and another step forward for Penn State,” University President Rodney Erickson said in a statement.

“We cannot undo what has been done, but we can and must do everything possible to learn from this and ensure it never happens again at Penn State,” he added.

Sandusky, 69, was convicted in June 2012 on 45 criminal counts of abusing 10 boys over a 15-year period. He was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison in a case that tarnished the reputation of Penn State and its late football coach Joe Paterno.

“The settlement amounts will not be funded by student tuition, taxpayer funds or donations,” Penn State said on its website.

It said the university maintains various liability insurance policies it believes will cover the settlements.

Sandusky lost a bid earlier this month for a new trial.

Pennsylvania Superior Court Judge Jack Panella, writing for a three-judge appeals panel, rejected claims that defense attorneys were not given enough time to prepare, jury instructions were flawed and prosecutors made improper comments during the trial about Sandusky’s decision not to testify.

Paterno, the winningest coach in major college football history until he was stripped of more than 100 victories because of the scandal, lost his job at Penn State for failing to report Sandusky to authorities.

Paterno died early last year at age 85, about two months after he was fired.

Three former Penn State administrators, including the former president, Graham Spanier, face criminal charges stemming from the scandal, and the National Collegiate Athletic Association, which regulates U.S. college sports, levied heavy sanctions against the school’s football program.

Recent Headlines

in National, World

Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border

Fresh
Israeli soldiers patrol outside the northern Gaza Strip on July 28, 2014.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dashes any hopes of a swift end to the three-week conflict as Palestinian fighters launched an audacious cross-border raid.

in Sports

Byron Scott to lead Lakers…or is he?

Fresh
FILE - In this April 17, 2013, file photo, then-Cleveland Cavaliers coach Byron Scott watches an NBA basketball game in Charlotte, N.C. Scott said this weekend that he has been hired by the Los Angeles Lakers, but the club insisted Sunday, July 27, 2014, that no deal has been reached. Scott, who won three NBA titles as a shooting guard for the Lakers, told KCBS-TV he will take over the club, which hasn't had a coach since Mike D'Antoni resigned April 30.

The club continues to insist that no deal has been reached.

in Sports

Only arguing remains in Sterling trail

FILE - In this Nov. 12, 2010, file photo, Shelly Sterling sits with her husband, Donald Sterling, right, during the Los Angeles Clippers' NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons in Los Angeles. With a $2 billion sale of the Clippers hanging in the balance, a judge is set to determine Monday, June 30, 2014, if the terms of a family trust alone are enough to confirm Donald Sterling was properly removed as trustee and allow his estranged wife to sell the team without his consent.

Only final arguments and a ruling remain in the trial to determine whether Donald Sterling's estranged wife can sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.

in Entertainment

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ sequel set for 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Marvel unveils plans to press ahead with a sequel to "Guardians of the Galaxy," days before the superhero movie even hits theaters.