News

Newtown 911 recordings reveal calm, anguish and gunshots

Newtown 911 recordings reveal calm, anguish and gunshots

NEWTOWN SHOOTING: The 911 calls are released. Photo: Reuters

By Edith Honan

DANBURY, Connecticut (Reuters) – Audio recordings from the Connecticut school shooting a year ago that killed 20 children and six educators reveal a mixture of calm and anguish from the callers, and gunshots from the assailant are heard in the background.

Officials in Newtown, Connecticut, were due to release recordings of 911 emergency phone calls from the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School at 2 p.m. Eastern Time. The Connecticut Post newspaper posted the recordings about a half hour before the scheduled release time.

Gunman Adam Lanza, 20, shot dead his mother at home and then entered the school on Dec. 14, 2012, killing 26 people and then himself.

“They’re shooting at the front door, something’s going on … The front glass is all shot out, it kept going on. It’s still happening,” a man calling himself Richard, sounding agitated and confused, tells a 911 emergency operator in one of the seven phone recordings posted on the Connecticut Post.

The operator calmly tells him to take cover.

Town officials initially tried to prevent release of the recordings. The state Freedom of Information Commission ordered the release of seven calls placed from inside the elementary school.

Recent Headlines

in Local Sports

The Dawgs release the 2015 football schedule

Fresh
"Harry," the Washington Huskies mascot runs on the field with a giant flag as Washington football players come out of the tunnel for an NCAA college football game against Arizona, Saturday, Sept. 28, 2013, in Seattle.

The University of Washington football team will play seven home games in 2015, including five against Pac-12 opponents. The 2015…

in Local Sports

Slam center Poole heading to new destination overseas

Fresh
bellingham slam blake poole ibl copy

Slam all-star center Blake Poole heads Portgual after signing with SC Lusitania

in Sports

Vikings bar Peterson from team activities

Fresh
Minnesota Vikings executive vice president & general manager Rick Spielman, left, owner/chairman Mark Wilf, center, and executive vice president legal affairs Kevin Warren, right, take part in a news conference in Eden Prairie, Minn., Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014. Hours after reversing course and benching Adrian Peterson indefinitely, owner Zygi Wilf said that the team "made a mistake" in bringing back their superstar running back following his indictment on a felony child-abuse charge in Texas.

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf says the team "made a mistake" in bringing back Adrian Peterson following his felony child-abuse charge

in Local Sports

Rockets acquire Jason Terry, picks from Kings

Fresh
Brooklyn Nets guard Jason Terry yells from the bench in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Indiana Pacers in Indianapolis, Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014. The Pacers defeated the Nets 97-96.

The Rockets have acquired, former Franklin High School star, Jason Terry, from the Kings in exchange for Alonzo Gee & Scotty Hopson.

in Sports

Mother: Peterson ‘trying hard to be a good parent’

Fresh
FILE - In this Sept. 7, 2014, file photo, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson warms up for an NFL football game against the St. Louis Rams in St. Louis. The Vikings benched Peterson for Sunday's game after his attorney said he had been indicted by a Texas grand jury on a charge of child abuse. Attorney Rusty Hardin says the charge accuses Peterson of using a branch, or switch, to spank his son. He says Peterson has cooperated with authorities and "used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son." Hardin says Peterson regrets the incident but never intended to harm the boy.

Adrian Peterson's mother is defending the Minnesota Vikings running back in the wake of child abuse allegations against him