News

Malaysia jet likely on autopilot when it crashed

Malaysia jet likely on autopilot when it crashed

MH370: Crew aboard the Australian Defence Vessel Ocean Shield move the U.S. Navy's Bluefin-21 autonomous underwater vehicle into position for deployment in the southern Indian Ocean to look for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight. Photo: Reuters

By Lincoln Feast

SYDNEY (Reuters) – Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was most likely on autopilot when it crashed into the Indian Ocean further south than previously thought, Australian officials said on Thursday, as they charted the next phase of a so far fruitless search.

The new analysis comes more than 100 days after the Boeing 777, carrying 239 passengers and crew, disappeared on March 8 shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing.

Investigators say what little evidence they have to work with suggests the plane was deliberately diverted thousands of kilometres from its scheduled route before eventually plunging into the Indian Ocean.

The search was narrowed in April after a series of acoustic pings thought to be from the plane’s black box recorders were heard along a final arc where analysis of satellite data put its last location.

But a month later, officials conceded the wreckage was not in that concentrated area, some 1,600 km (1,000 miles) off the northwest coast of Australia, and the search area would have to be expanded.

“The new priority area is still focused on the seventh arc, where the aircraft last communicated with satellite. We are now shifting our attention to an area further south along the arc,” Australian Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss told reporters in Canberra.

Truss said the area was determined after a review of satellite data, early radar information and aircraft performance limits after the plane diverted across the Malaysian peninsula and headed south into one of the remotest areas of the planet.

“It is highly, highly likely that the aircraft was on autopilot otherwise it could not have followed the orderly path that has been identified through the satellite sightings,” Truss said.

The next phase of the search is expected to start in August and take a year, covering some 60,000 sq km at a cost of A$60 million ($56 million) or more. The search is already the most expensive in aviation history.

The new priority search area is around 2,000 km west of Perth, a stretch of isolated ocean frequently lashed by storm force winds and massive swells.

In a 55-page report, the Australian Transport Safety Board outlined a how investigators had narrowed down the possible final resting place from thousands of possible routes, while noting the absence of communications and the steady flight path.

“Given these observations, the final stages of the unresponsive crew/hypoxia event type appeared to best fit the available evidence for the final period of MH370’s flight when it was heading in a generally southerly direction,” the ATSB report said.

Two vessels, one Chinese and one from Dutch engineering company Fugro , are currently mapping the sea floor along the arc, where depths exceed 5,000 metres in parts.

A tender to find a commercial operator to conduct the sea floor search closes on Monday.

(Additional reporting by Matt Siegel; Editing by Nick Macfie and Nick Macfie)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

Police: Cardinals RB Dwyer head-butted wife

Fresh
This is a 2014 photo of Jonathan Dwyer of the Arizona Cardinals NFL football team. This image reflects the Arizona Cardinals active roster as of Monday, June 9, 2014 when this image was taken.

Police say Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer head-butted his wife and broke her nose, Cards also release Chris Rainey for his history of domestic violence.

in Entertainment

Kevin Spacey’s stalker sentenced to 4 years

kevin

A Massachusetts woman who threatened to torture the actor has been sentenced to more than four years behind bars.

in Sports

R&A set for historic vote on women members

Fresh
FILE - In this July 17, 2013 file photo, the Royal and Ancient Golf Club's Chief Executive Peter Dawson listens during a press conference ahead of the British Open Golf Championship at Muirfield, Scotland. Dawson announced last month that he will retire in September 2015 as secretary of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club and chief executive of The R&A, a business division he wisely created 10 years ago. He will have served 16 years, the same tenure as the three R&A secretaries before him. What sets him apart is coping with perhaps the most challenging times in the club's 260-year history.

On the same day Scotland votes on whether to become independent, a historic sporting decision will be made inside arguably the most famous building in golf.

in Sports

Ex Rangers manager sorry for breaking wife’s trust

Fresh
An emotional former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington looks down at the podium as he makes a statement at a news conference, Thursday, Sept. 18, 2014, in Irving, Texas.

Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington says he is embarrassed for breaking the trust of his wife of 42 years.

in Local Sports

Angels bump Weaver for LeBlanc after clinch

los angeles of anaheim angels logo

The Los Angeles Angels have scratched ace Jered Weaver from his scheduled start Thursday against the Seattle Mariners.