News

Toronto hands Mariners their 5th straight loss

Seattle Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager throws to first after forcing out Toronto Blue Jays' Kendrys Morales (8) out at second base in the seventh inning of a baseball game Sunday, June 11, 2017, in Seattle. Seeger completed the double play on Justin Smoak at first. Photo: Associated Press/Elaine Thompson


SEATTLE (AP) — The Seattle Mariners can’t seem to get their struggling bats back in a groove and end their freefall in the AL playoff picture.

Toronto’s Marco Estrada became the latest to leave Seattle’s batters baffled, using his mix of offspeed pitches to take a no-hitter into the seventh inning of the Blue Jays’ 5-1 win over the Mariners on Saturday night.

Estrada (5-8) was masterful with his changeup, keeping the Mariners guessing all night. He didn’t give up a hit until Mitch Haniger’s one-out double just inside third base in the seventh inning. It was just Seattle’s second baserunner after Nelson Cruz walked leading off the second inning.

Estrada was pulled after walking Ryon Healy to open the eighth inning, leaving to a standing ovation from the thousands of Toronto fans in attendance. Estrada struck out four and allowed one earned run when Healy scored on Chris Herrmann’s sacrifice fly.

“The fans made it seem like a playoff game,” Estrada said. “It gave me a lot of energy and a lot of excitement and got the adrenaline going. When I walked off and got a great ovation, it was awesome.”

Seattle has lost five straight and fallen 2 ½ games back of Oakland for the second AL wild card. The Mariners’ slumping offense looked even more meager against Estrada, who entered the day with a 4.90 ERA and had allowed four earned runs in four innings in his last start. Estrada also induced plenty of weak contact as Seattle struggled to make the adjustment between speeds.

Ryan Tepera finished off the eighth and Ken Giles pitched the ninth in his second appearance since being acquired by the Blue Jays.

“You’ve got to try to simplify things a little bit. That’s what we’ve got to get to. Instead of making it harder, make it a little simpler because what we’re doing right now is not working,” Seattle manager Scott Servais said.

Seattle starter James Paxton (9-5) lost for the third time in his past four starts against the team he no-hit earlier this season in Toronto. The damage against Paxton came via two blows: Devon Travis’ two-run single in the third and Aledmys Diaz’s solo home run leading off the fifth.

Travis has seven RBIs in the first three games of the series; he had seven RBIs the entire month of July.

“If you’re not aggressive against (Paxton) it’s even tougher. We stayed aggressive tonight,” Travis said.

Paxton was able to get through the seventh thanks to inning-ending double plays in the first, third and fifth innings, and another key double play in the seventh. He struck out seven and has allowed three earned runs or fewer in 14 of his last 17 starts.

Paxton was unhappy with his curveball and it allowed the Blue Jays to look for mostly fastballs.

“They knew I didn’t have my good breaking stuff tonight,” Paxton said. “Nothing was very sharp. The ball was kind of rolling into the zone. I think that allows them not to have to respect that pitch as much and they can cheat on the fastball.”

BULLPEN BANTER

Toronto added two more runs off Seattle’s bullpen on Justin Smoak’s RBI single off Sam Tuivailala in the eighth and Brandon Drury’s double off James Pazos in the ninth. Toronto has scored 10 runs — seven earned — off Seattle’s bullpen in the first three games of the series.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Mariners: 2B Dee Gordon was a late scratch from the lineup Saturday because of a sore ankle. Manager Scott Servais expects Gordon to play Sunday. … RHP Erasmo Ramirez will make one more rehab start Sunday for Triple-A Tacoma. Servais expects Ramirez to return to the active roster if all goes well. … Servais doesn’t know how long RHP Juan Nicasio, who was placed on the 10-day DL Friday, could be on the DL because of his knee situation. “Juan’s frustrated that it hasn’t felt good. He wants to make it right. I certainly think he can come back and impact this year down the stretch, but I don’t know.”

Recent Headlines

2 days ago in Sports

Fernando Mendoza throws a pick-6, struggles in 1st half of Raiders’ 22-20 preseason win over Texans

Top pick Fernando Mendoza is finding out quickly that he has a lot of work to do as he begins his NFL career. Mendoza struggled in his second preseason game, throwing an interception that Houston returned for a touchdown before the Las Vegas Raiders rallied late for a 22-20 victory over the Texans on Thursday night.

3 days ago in Sports

No. 1 overall pick Azzi Fudd of the Dallas Wings is set for season-ending surgery on sore knee

Dallas Wings guard Azzi Fudd is set for season-ending surgery on a sore knee that has sidelined this year's No. 1 overall pick for the past five games.

3 days ago in Sports

Max Verstappen extends contract with Red Bull to 2030 after he weighed up leaving F1

Max Verstappen says he seriously considered leaving Formula 1 before the four-time champion instead committed to four more years with Red Bull on Thursday.

3 days ago in Sports

Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers to play NHL games in Germany in 2027

The Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers will each play two regular-season games in Germany next year as part of the NHL and NHLPA's efforts to grow hockey in the country, the league announced Thursday.

5 days ago in Sports

LIV Golf to end season early and cancel the Michigan team event

LIV Golf is ending its season one week earlier than planned, announcing Monday it will not hold the team championship in Michigan next week and instead crown the team champion this week 20 miles north of Indianapolis.