News

Sehome hires former player as new football coach

A Sehome Mariners football helmet on the turf at Civic Stadium during the 2016 season. Photo: KPUG/Doug Lange


Sehome High School has a new football coach and he’s returning to his alma mater to lead the Mariners.

Kevin Beason has been named the new head coach at Sehome. The 48 year-old played for the Mariners from 1984-1986. Beason lettered three years in football, wrestling and track as a Mariner. He was named second team all-Northwest League in football, went to state in track and was named Sportsman of the Year at Sehome his senior year.

Beason says he’s very a very excited and humbled man. “Really can’t believe what’s been placed in front of me and the opportunity to go back to my alma mater and help shape that program….it’s a little slice of heaven for me.”

Beason replaces Bob Norvell, who stepped down after going 0-10 last season and compiling a 14-and-37 record over five seasons.

Sehome Athletic Director Colin Cushman told KPUG the local ties of his new football coach played a big role in the hire.  “He is well connected in this community. (former WWU football coach) Rob Smith very highly recommended him,” said Cushman. “And other people in the community who know him, just gave him raving reviews. Very excited about him.”

The four-year starter and letter winner at Western Washington University played center for the Vikings. He was named a First-Team Columbia Football Association All-star in 1989 and 1990.

Beason works full-time as a Program Support Specialist at the Northwest Regional Learning Center. He has been active as both a football and baseball coach with the Mount Baker Youth Athletic Association.

Sehome is looking for their first winning season since 2004.

“Just starting to reach out right now and build a staff and prepare for sprig football. It’s going to be a busy 30 days,” says Beason. “We got a lot to get done in a short amount of time. We’re going to jump on it.”

(KPUG – Doug Lange)

 

Recent Headlines

22 hours ago in Sports

‘This is probably my last year in football,’ says Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo says this Saudi Pro League season is likely to be the last of his professional career. The 41-year-old superstar's contract with Riyadh club Al-Nassr, signed in December 2022, expires next June, and he has told Vogue magazine that another is unlikely.

5 days ago in Sports

Montero, Tigers shut out Guardians without a strikeout, a first in MLB since 2014

Keider Montero pitched three-hit ball into the seventh inning and the Detroit Tigers blanked the Cleveland Guardians 3-0 on Thursday despite failing to record a strikeout.

5 days ago in Sports

Chicago Bears could merge 2 sites for potential stadium in northwest Indiana

The Chicago Bears have at least one viable site for a new stadium in northwest Indiana and they are examining a second location as they move closer to finalizing a place for their new home.

5 days ago in Sports

Dodgers’ Freddie Freeman somehow avoids serious injury in frightening fall into visitors’ dugout

Freddie Freeman apparently avoided serious injury Wednesday night when the Los Angeles Dodgers' first baseman took a frightening tumble down the stairs and into the visitors' dugout while trying to catch a foul popup in the eighth inning.

6 days ago in Sports

CBS Sports president says there’s no timeline for a decision on Tony Romo’s future

CBS Sports president David Berson said Tuesday he does not have a timeline for a decision about Tony Romo's future. Romo, the network's lead NFL analyst, is on leave following his arrest last month in Wisconsin on suspicion of operating a vehicle while under the influence.