News

Seattle Seahawks Hall of Famer Cortez Kennedy dead at 48

Former Seattle Seahawk and Pro Football Hall-of-Fame member Cortez Kennedy stands with his hall-of-fame bust during a halftime ceremony at an NFL football game between the Seattle Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers, Thursday, Sept. 4, 2014, in Seattle. Photo: Associated Press/ (AP Photo/Scott Eklund)


Former Seattle Seahawks star and NFL Hall of Famer Cortez Kennedy has died in Orlando at the age of 48.  Orlando Police announced the death and an ongoing investigation Tuesday. TMZ Sports first reported the news, adding that Orlando PD say “there is nothing suspicious” about the death.

According to the Associated Press, police public information officer Wanda Miglio says the circumstances surrounding Kennedy’s death are still unknown.

Kennedy spent 11 seasons with the Seahawks, making 8 Pro Bowls. He totaled 448 tackles and 58 sacks before retiring at the end of the 2000 season.


Quarterback Randell Cunningham (12) of the Philadelphia Eagles is unable to
avoid the rush of Cortez Kennedy (99) of the Seattle Seahawks during the fourth quarter of NFL game in Seattle, Dec.13, 1992. (AP Photo/Bill Chan)

The former University of Miami star was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2012.

(KPUG – Doug Lange; Information from TMZ and the Associated Press were used in this story)

Recent Headlines

10 hours ago in Sports

LIV Golf to end season early and cancel the Michigan team event

LIV Golf is ending its season one week earlier than planned, announcing Monday it will not hold the team championship in Michigan next week and instead crown the team champion this week 20 miles north of Indianapolis.

10 hours ago in Sports, Trending

Serena and Venus Williams return to doubles and lose close match in Cincinnati

Serena and Venus Williams played their first doubles match together since the 2022 U.S. Open and lost a thriller, 2-6, 6-1 (10-8) to Marta Kostyuk and Peyton Stearns on Monday night at the Cincinnati Open.

1 day ago in Sports

‘This is probably my last year in football,’ says Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo says this Saudi Pro League season is likely to be the last of his professional career. The 41-year-old superstar's contract with Riyadh club Al-Nassr, signed in December 2022, expires next June, and he has told Vogue magazine that another is unlikely.

5 days ago in Sports

Montero, Tigers shut out Guardians without a strikeout, a first in MLB since 2014

Keider Montero pitched three-hit ball into the seventh inning and the Detroit Tigers blanked the Cleveland Guardians 3-0 on Thursday despite failing to record a strikeout.

5 days ago in Sports

Chicago Bears could merge 2 sites for potential stadium in northwest Indiana

The Chicago Bears have at least one viable site for a new stadium in northwest Indiana and they are examining a second location as they move closer to finalizing a place for their new home.