News

Cristiano Ronaldo banned for 5 games after pushing referee

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo, right, reacts after Referee Ricardo de Burgos shows a second yellow card during the Spanish Supercup, first leg, soccer match between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid at the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona, Spain, Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017. Cristiano Ronaldo was banned for five games on Monday after shoving a referee following his red card for diving in Real Madrid's 3-1 win over Barcelona in the season-opening Spanish Super Cup. Photo: Associated Press/(AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)


JOSEPH WILSON, Associated Press

 

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Cristiano Ronaldo lost his cool, and now Real Madrid has lost its main man for five matches at the start of the Spanish season.

Ronaldo was banned for five games on Monday after shoving a referee who sent him off for diving in Madrid’s 3-1 win over Barcelona in the Spanish Super Cup.

Ronaldo was suspended for one game for the red card in Sunday’s Super Cup first leg at Barcelona, and four games for pushing referee Ricardo de Burgos Bengoetxea in the back, the Spanish football federation said.

Ronaldo will miss Wednesday’s return leg of the Super Cup in Madrid plus the first four matches of Real Madrid’s league title defense. Zinedine Zidane’s Madrid opens the league on Sunday at Deportivo La Coruna. Its next three matches after that are against Valencia, promoted Levante, and at Real Sociedad.

Ronaldo and Madrid have 10 days to appeal the federation’s ruling.

Still regaining peak fitness after an extended summer vacation, Ronaldo began the Super Cup match on the bench, and came on in the 58th minute.

He scored with a long-range strike to put Madrid 2-1 up in the 80th minute, moments after Lionel Messi had equalized for Barcelona from the penalty spot.

But Ronaldo’s goal celebration — when he took his shirt off and flexed his muscles — earned him a yellow card.

Two minutes later, he charged into the area and collided with Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti. Ronaldo went down hoping for a penalty. Instead, referee De Burgos showed him a second yellow for diving and sent him off.

Ronaldo raised his arms in disbelief, then stepped up to De Burgos and shoved him in the back with his right hand.

The federation ruling said that Ronaldo’s shove violated article 96 of its disciplinary code, which states that “light aggressions” defined as “pulling, pushing and shaking” of a referee are punished by suspensions of between 4-12 matches.

The federation also fined Ronaldo 3,005 euros ($3,500) and Madrid 1,400 euros ($1,650) for the shove, and another 600 euros ($705) for the player and 350 euros ($412) for the club for simulating a foul.

Last season, Las Palmas forward Marko Livaja was given an additional four-match suspension for pushing a referee after he was shown a red card.

In the 2014 Spanish Super Cup, Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone was handed an eight-match suspension after he tapped the back of a linesman’s head. Simeone was suspended for four games for the tapping, two games for protesting, one game for ironically applauding the referee, and one game for remaining in the stands instead of leaving the stadium after his sending-off.

Simeone served four matches of his league suspension and the other four are pending Atletico’s future Spanish Super Cup matches.

After guiding Madrid to the Champions League and Spanish league titles last season, the suspension comes during a difficult summer for Ronaldo.

In June, a state prosecutor accused Ronaldo of defrauding Spain’s tax office of 14.7 million euros ($16.5 million). The 32-year-old star had to deny the accusations in person to an investigative judge last month.

Now he must trust his teammates to make a good start to Madrid’s defense without him. Given Marco Asensio’s great goal from distance to cap Sunday’s win over Barcelona, the 21-year-old forward could take Ronaldo’s place in the starting lineup.

 

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recent Headlines

21 hours ago in Sports

Fernando Mendoza throws a pick-6, struggles in 1st half of Raiders’ 22-20 preseason win over Texans

Top pick Fernando Mendoza is finding out quickly that he has a lot of work to do as he begins his NFL career. Mendoza struggled in his second preseason game, throwing an interception that Houston returned for a touchdown before the Las Vegas Raiders rallied late for a 22-20 victory over the Texans on Thursday night.

2 days ago in Sports

No. 1 overall pick Azzi Fudd of the Dallas Wings is set for season-ending surgery on sore knee

Dallas Wings guard Azzi Fudd is set for season-ending surgery on a sore knee that has sidelined this year's No. 1 overall pick for the past five games.

2 days ago in Sports

Max Verstappen extends contract with Red Bull to 2030 after he weighed up leaving F1

Max Verstappen says he seriously considered leaving Formula 1 before the four-time champion instead committed to four more years with Red Bull on Thursday.

2 days ago in Sports

Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers to play NHL games in Germany in 2027

The Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers will each play two regular-season games in Germany next year as part of the NHL and NHLPA's efforts to grow hockey in the country, the league announced Thursday.

4 days ago in Sports

LIV Golf to end season early and cancel the Michigan team event

LIV Golf is ending its season one week earlier than planned, announcing Monday it will not hold the team championship in Michigan next week and instead crown the team champion this week 20 miles north of Indianapolis.