News

Carroll: Seahawks still open to considering Colin Kaepernick

Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll talks to reporters, Tuesday, May 6, 2014, in Renton, Wash., about the upcoming NFL football draft. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren) Photo: Associated Press/Ted S. Warren


RENTON, Wash. (AP) — Pete Carroll said Monday the Seattle Seahawks have not closed the door on the possibility of adding Colin Kaepernick to their roster, but how much further they pursue it may depend on the upcoming NFL draft.

“We’re still battling on all fronts, on all guys. We’re still looking at guys and evaluating. There are still free agents we’re looking at and in that the process just continues,” Carroll said. “We’ve gone through the information gathering and we have a pretty good feel for where we are. It’s ongoing. We’re not done with that decision at all.”

Reports surfaced earlier this month that Seattle pulled out of a planned workout for Kaepernick, who has been without an NFL team since the end of the 2016 season. Seattle has been one of the few teams to show any interest in Kaepernick following his protests during the national anthem in the 2016 season with San Francisco.

Carroll said the reports of what happened with the intended workout were “blown up.”

“I think we’ve been working at this thing for some time now. I don’t think that was really as telling as it came across,” Carroll said. “We’re really aware of him and he’s a fine football player and there may be a place for him. We don’t know that yet.”

Whether Seattle revisits Kaepernick may be answered during this week’s draft and if the Seahawks invest a draft pick in a quarterback for the first time since selecting Russell Wilson in the 2012 draft. Seattle has signed backups Stephen Morris and Austin Davis this offseason.

Carroll and general manager John Schneider also gave brief updates on injuries to safety Kam Chancellor and defensive tackle Malik McDowell.

Chancellor suffered a neck injury midway through last season that put his career in doubt. Schneider said Chancellor will have a “scan” in late June or early July to determine his status going forward. It could be as much a contract issue as anything else with Chancellor, who signed a three-year extension with $25 million guaranteed before the start of last season.

Meanwhile, the status of McDowell remains murky. McDowell, Seattle’s initial draft pick in the second round of last year’s draft, was injured in an ATV accident last summer and has not taken part in any football-related activities since. Carroll said the team has received no indication on McDowell’s ability to even rejoin the team at this point, let alone play football.

“There is a lot of stuff we can’t get into. It’s a really unfortunate situation on both sides,” Schneider said.

The only diagnosis the team has provided regarding McDowell is that he suffered a severe concussion and facial injuries in the ATV accident.

“We haven’t had a good update in a long time,” Carroll said.

Recent Headlines

2 days ago in Sports

Fernando Mendoza throws a pick-6, struggles in 1st half of Raiders’ 22-20 preseason win over Texans

Top pick Fernando Mendoza is finding out quickly that he has a lot of work to do as he begins his NFL career. Mendoza struggled in his second preseason game, throwing an interception that Houston returned for a touchdown before the Las Vegas Raiders rallied late for a 22-20 victory over the Texans on Thursday night.

3 days ago in Sports

No. 1 overall pick Azzi Fudd of the Dallas Wings is set for season-ending surgery on sore knee

Dallas Wings guard Azzi Fudd is set for season-ending surgery on a sore knee that has sidelined this year's No. 1 overall pick for the past five games.

3 days ago in Sports

Max Verstappen extends contract with Red Bull to 2030 after he weighed up leaving F1

Max Verstappen says he seriously considered leaving Formula 1 before the four-time champion instead committed to four more years with Red Bull on Thursday.

3 days ago in Sports

Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers to play NHL games in Germany in 2027

The Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers will each play two regular-season games in Germany next year as part of the NHL and NHLPA's efforts to grow hockey in the country, the league announced Thursday.

5 days ago in Sports

LIV Golf to end season early and cancel the Michigan team event

LIV Golf is ending its season one week earlier than planned, announcing Monday it will not hold the team championship in Michigan next week and instead crown the team champion this week 20 miles north of Indianapolis.