News

Carroll says Seahawks considering Kaepernick as backup

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick talks during a news conference after an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Rams Saturday, Dec. 24, 2016, in Los Angeles. The San Francisco 49ers won 22-21. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri) Photo: Associated Press/(AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)


RENTON, Wash. (AP) — Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Monday that the team is considering Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III as possible backup options to starting quarterback Russell Wilson.

In an interview with the Seahawks flagship station in Seattle, Carroll was asked specifically about the pair of veteran quarterbacks who would seem to fit the style Seattle desires in Wilson’s backup.

“We’re looking at everybody. We really are,” Carroll said. “We’ve been tracking everything that is going on and we’ve got cap and roster issues and stuff like that that we’re trying to make sure we manage properly but quite frankly, yes, we’re looking at all those guys.”

Trevone Boykin served as Wilson’s backup last season but has run into off-field issues during the offseason. Carroll often praised Kaepernick when he was with San Francisco.

___

For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recent Headlines

1 day ago in Sports

LIV Golf to end season early and cancel the Michigan team event

LIV Golf is ending its season one week earlier than planned, announcing Monday it will not hold the team championship in Michigan next week and instead crown the team champion this week 20 miles north of Indianapolis.

1 day ago in Sports, Trending

Serena and Venus Williams return to doubles and lose close match in Cincinnati

Serena and Venus Williams played their first doubles match together since the 2022 U.S. Open and lost a thriller, 2-6, 6-1 (10-8) to Marta Kostyuk and Peyton Stearns on Monday night at the Cincinnati Open.

2 days ago in Sports

‘This is probably my last year in football,’ says Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo says this Saudi Pro League season is likely to be the last of his professional career. The 41-year-old superstar's contract with Riyadh club Al-Nassr, signed in December 2022, expires next June, and he has told Vogue magazine that another is unlikely.

6 days ago in Sports

Montero, Tigers shut out Guardians without a strikeout, a first in MLB since 2014

Keider Montero pitched three-hit ball into the seventh inning and the Detroit Tigers blanked the Cleveland Guardians 3-0 on Thursday despite failing to record a strikeout.

6 days ago in Sports

Chicago Bears could merge 2 sites for potential stadium in northwest Indiana

The Chicago Bears have at least one viable site for a new stadium in northwest Indiana and they are examining a second location as they move closer to finalizing a place for their new home.